Skip to main content

Cyber Essentials ..... Huh?

 A customer asked me the other day if I knew anything about Cyber Essentials. It rang a bell, but I couldn't really think why. A quick search online and found it....

What is Cyber Essentials?

It is an effective, Government backed scheme that will help you to protect your organisation, whatever its size, against a whole range of the most common cyber attacks.

Cyber attacks come in many shapes and sizes, but the vast majority are very basic in nature, carried out by relatively unskilled individuals. They're the digital equivalent of a thief trying your front door to see if it's unlocked.

There are two levels of certification: Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus.

So, what does this mean?

Well I went through the questionnaire to find out, and after answering all the questions and in the end got a readiness report with 15 pages giving me an outline on what I should do to become certified. 

Does it cost anything?

Yes! Anything from £300+VAT to £500+VAT (depending on the size of company) per year! - If you want to go for the Cyber Essentials Plus, then prices will be higher (they don't show these on the website!)

Is it compulsory?

No. But some Government Contracts may require you to be Cyber Essentials certified or to be able to demonstrate that the technical controls are in place.

So is it worth doing?

That's something that only you can decide.

Will I become Cyber Essentials certified?

NO! Whilst a certificate on the wall to say you are Cyber Essentials certified does look good, it's a lot of money every year is a bit steep for a Sole Trader to be honest.

It is worth going through the Cyber Essentials readiness toolkit as your responses to the questions will create a personal action plan to help you move towards meeting the Cyber Essentials requirements. And the report includes links to specific guidance on how to meet the requirements.

I'm now off to read the report again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First of many posts ....

I've been thinking about doing a random blog and linking it to my business website for quite a while, and today seems to be that day. It's not something that I am going to do every day, week or month, it's just something that will happen when I feel like it, and it could be about anything and everything. I know that there are other platforms that I could use to either 'vent', ramble or just moan, but this will be linked directly off my business website as I would think that it will mainly contain things that are connected to my business in one way or another. So as they say, Buckle up and get ready for a wild ride 😂

Is cloud storage all it's cracked up to be?

Cloud storage .... what is it? First things first, it's not actually up in the sky 😀 It is just stored in one of many datacentres across the world. Whether it's the Microsoft OneDrive, Google-Drive, Dropbox or any other cloud storage you may have heard of or used, it's just data stored on a server in a datacentre somewhere in the world. The concept of it is brilliant in that you can send a file from your work PC, and by logging into the account on your home PC you are able to get the file. However, there is a big downside to this. And it's that you need to be connected (or online) to be able to do this. For documents, storing them on the cloud doesn't take much data, so timewise, it's not too bad. Photographs and pictures on the other hand, do have lots of data, and therefore can be slow to send to receive. I was speaking to a customer, and he moved all his photographs to the cloud and was saying that it took 10 days for them to move from his PC to his cloud st

Dynabook Toshiba Satellite Pro 14 C40-G-109 Laptop Review.

  That’s a mouthful… but here we go with another Laptop review. This time it’s a Dynabook (Toshiba) 14” lightweight laptop. Again, this is one of my laptops, and it’s one that I carry around with me in my backpack in case I am onsite, or out, and need a laptop for any reason. It’s a small and light laptop is perfect for light use surfing the ‘net, dealing with emails and the odd bit of word processing, etc. It comes with an Intel Celeron dual core CPU running at 1.9Ghz, together with 4Gb ram (that is expandable), and a 128Gb SSD, loaded with Windows 10 Pro (Education edition). As stated, the ram is expandable and I’ve already upgraded it to 8Gb as Windows runs much happier with 8Gb – the only downside is that to upgrade the ram, you must remove the case bottom, and replace the single ram module with a larger capacity one. In general use, the laptop is fast enough, but not something that I would want to try and game on as the CPU is of an older design and only has 2 cores. It takes